A storm is coming and there's nothing quite like comfort food when the weather is raging outside . You cannot beat good comfort food on days where being house bound is the only option. And that brings me to this post containing this recipe.
I have loved this recipe since the first time we met, got to know each other, and then shared that fateful first meal. It was a delicious time no less and one that I shan't forget.
Nor shall you.
I'm gonna keep this short and sweet so you can get your hungry self where you belong...in the kitchen!
Dutch Puffed Apple PancakeServes: 4-6
This is a delicious breakfast that is sure to please the whole family. It's fun to make too!
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 large apple, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts (or pecans)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour (rice flour for gluten-free or almond flour can be used to make this grain free)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 3 Tablespoons sucanat (optional)
- Warm Maple Syrup and lots of BUTTER
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Once the oven is warm, melt the butter in your pie dish in the oven.
- Place apples and nuts over melted butter and bake until apples are soft and the walnuts begin to toast. About 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk the remaining ingredients together until well blended.
- Using a cold stick of butter, CAREFULLY rub the edges of your pie dish with the butter so the batter does not stick while baking.
- Gently and carefully pour into pie dish and sprinkle the sucanat (or brown sugar if you'd like) over the top of the mixture.
- Put into oven and let cook for 25 minutes or until the center is set.
- You will want to serve this immediately and smother it in warm maple syrup and butter. Raw honey is a good option too.
- ***This bakes pancake puffs beautifully in the oven (especially when using wheat flour) and it will 'deflate' once it's been out for a few minutes. Make sure you have everyone seated and ready to be wowed as soon as you take it out of the oven!